Thursday, June 11, 2009

Emerald Flower Scarab (Trichiotinus lunulatus)

(Photo: 6/09/09 by Marvin)

Emerald Flower Scarab (Trichiotinus lunulatus) Feeding on Ox-eye Daisy



Identification: Usually green, but sometimes has a coppery tinge. Legs usually green or dark, not brown. Cretaceous (chalky) spots on pygidium not usually concealed by hairs.

Range: Southeastern United States: Virginia to Texas.

Habitat: Meadows, fields, etc. with flowers, near woodlands.

Food: Pollen and/or nectar from a variety of flowers.

(Source: BugGuide)



.
Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

Wow, an amazing pic - you got every detail on there!! Its metallic green color reminds me on the Junebug. Thanks for sharing:)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am glad that summer has finally arrived Marvin. I get to see some of the small creatures that inhabit your area. Gorgeous photo.

Pat - Arkansas said...

What a gorgeous creature! Great photo, Marvin. Although I have a built-in aversion to most bugs, I am fascinated by scarab beetles (perhaps because of the ancient Egyptian connection), although I can't say I would like to have one crawling on me.

abb said...

Beautiful bug. And I mean that.

Tom Arbour said...

Very nice Marvin- Definitely a new one to me, doesn't sound like it makes it this far north.

Tom

AphotoAday said...

Wow -- look at that iridescence...

laughingwolf said...

love it, marvin... related to the ancient and sacred scarab of egypt?

a sports car was named a scarab, too...

Garden Lily said...

Beautiful