Thursday, January 07, 2010

SkyWatch: Tivola (TX) Sunrise





With snow on the ground and a windchill somewhere down around 0°F/-17°C, I thought a SkyWatch flashback to a warmer time would be appropriate. Jo and I were heading back to Arkansas after visiting our parents on the middle Texas coast. We'd gotten an early start on our trip, but not too early least we arrive in Houston during morning rush hour. We pulled into a roadside park just south of Tivoli, TX so Jo could take several sunrise photos. None of the photos show the swarms of mosquitoes that were trying to carry us off. (BTW: In Texas, Tivoli is pronounced Ty-vole-ah. It is in Refugio County which is usually incorrectly pronounced  Re-fury-oh.)




.
Share/Bookmark

12 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

Such beautiful soft colors!

And thanks for the pronounciation help! I would never have guessed!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Love those big skies in TX. Beautiful sunrise. Iwill think of this when trying to stay warm this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Warm looks good right now - it took me an hour to drive five miles home through the snow tonight.

I never would have gotten the pronunciation. I'm still forgetting the correct way to say Lima (Ohio) and Milan (Michigan).

Anonymous said...

Very pretty - Love that sky!

WR said...

Beautiful photo ~ enjoy the Lone Star State!

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful photo. I have only driven through Texas once and I thought I would never get out of the state, I was on my way to California at the time. LOL! You mentioned Arkansas, I enjoyed the 10 yrs. that I lived there in a small town near Arkadelphia, well somewhat close to Arkadelphia, it was a small town called "Amity."

laughingwolf said...

that's really neat, marvin... reminds me of smoke :)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great shots. I used to live in Victoria, TX which is not that far from Tivoli and loved the weather and skies down there.

Lana Gramlich said...

Very lovely. I can almost imagine the mosquitoes. Unfortunately it's also cold here. Colder than it's been since the '80s, I'm told. Low of 16F forecast for tonight. I never thought I'd be "glad" that I brought my rabbit-fur-lined ear-flap hat when I moved here from Canada...

Marvin said...

Thanks to everyone for his/her comment.

Wren: Many place names in Texas are more corruptions than pronunciations.

Lisa: The big skies are nice, but I've grown accustomed to skies broken up by hills and trees.

Kenneth: I'm up in the Ozark Mountains, about 100 miles north of Little Rock.

Yogi: I grew up in Aransas Pass -- where my folks still live -- then moved to Houston. I've made many trips through (now around) Victoria.

Lana: That's damned cold for down where you are. NOAA says we may hit 0°F tonight -- and that's damned cold for where I am.

Kerri Farley said...

Beauitiful sunrise! Hope you stay warm :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

lovely and soft. Thanks for the pronunciation guide. LOL!