Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Blue-Eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium sp)



Blue-Eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium sp)

Wildflowers of Arkansas says "Individual species are very difficult to identify; 8 have been collected in Arkansas." If I had to take a guess, I'd say that this is Prairie Blue-Eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium campestre), but that's just a guess. Mostly, I'll just enjoy this pretty little bright blue flower which isn't actually a grass, but a member of the iris family.




Additonal information on Sisyrinchium campestre:
USDA Plant Profile and Distribution Map
Missouri Flora



******



Common (European) Comfrey
(Symphytum officinale)




Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

imac said...

Beauiful collection of photos also colours.

Anonymous said...

very beautiful colors

Anonymous said...

The grass with the blue flowers is very nice. I don't think I have ever seen it here where I live but at Aullwood farm it seems to me that there is some thing like it there growing along a creek bank.

Nice.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This is a timely post Marvin. I just planted some blue eyed grass 'Sisyrinchium angustifolium'.
I guess all plants are wild flowers brought into cultivated places. I like the looks of this one. I don't know a common name for it. It has thick leaves.

I also have a Comfrey. It is about to bloom now.

Anonymous said...

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know there was more than one species! It's one of my favorites, too. Great photo.

Willard said...

Hi Marvin,

You are posting a lot of superb nature shots and I enjoy them very much! We have Blue Eyed Grass here, but I am not sure what variety.

Thanks for your comment on my blog about the elk. I think that you and Tom nailed it exactly!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Beautiful pictures. We'll see the grasses in another month or so.

nina at Nature Remains. said...

I have this in my garden.
Last year it was wonderful--this year not flowering (yet).
I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time seeing Blue-eyed Grass! It was one of those plants that struck my interest in the flora of my area!