Monday, June 15, 2009

Banded Longhorn Flower Beetle (Typocerus velutinus)


Banded Longhorn Flower Beetle
(Typocerus velutinus)

Identification: Pattern usually distinctive: broad yellow bands on a chestnut background. Sometimes bands are weak. Tends to be larger than several of the other common Flower Longhorns. Yellow markings do not continue across the two elytra as a continuous band; instead, there is a break along the suture.

Range: Eastern North America

Life Cycle: Larvae feed on decaying hardwoods such as oak, hickory. Adults usually found in daytime, but do come to lights, so probably somewhat nocturnal.

Comments: Photo taken with Banded Longhorn Flower Beetle feeding on Queen Anne's Lace growing along our road out. They will feed on a variety of flowers, but seem to have a preference for Queen Anne's Lace.





Sources and additional images/information:

BugGuide Species Page
Cirrus Images
Stephen Cresswell Photography

.
Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Those are some long horns. I need some Queen Annes Lace to grow here. Hmmmmmm

Q said...

Good looking bug!
I do grow Queen Ann's Lace so I will look for him.
I am enjoying catching up with you.
Sherry

Carol said...

I am learning the beauty in all of God's creatures.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Pat - Arkansas said...

Excellent photos, Marvin! I find new, and very interesting, bugs/insects/flowers/stuff over here every time I visit! Thanks!

Deb said...

Excellent, excellent. Reminds me to find you a quote from a book I am reading, about God loving beetles.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

How lovely this beetle is Marvin. It is amazing how many insects like this plant.

laughingwolf said...

that's neat, marvin... have never seen one

Dale Forbes said...

joan got me looking at bugs again, and spending much more time here and I will also have to get in to photographing them again...

Dale Forbes

Moe said...

Awesome shot! Everytime I cycle through the bug blogs I visit I mostly see brand new bugs with which I was previously not familiar. This is one!

Shelly Cox said...

Great pictures Marvin. Gotta love the bugs!