Thursday, July 30, 2009

White-lined Sphinx Moth (Hyles lineata)



The White-lined Sphinx (Hyles lineata) is a common sphinx or hawkmoth that ranges from Central America north through Mexico and the West Indies to most of the United States and southern Canada. It also occurs in Eurasia and Africa. Both the adult and caterpillars feed on a wide variety of sources. Adults usually fly at dusk, during the night, and at dawn, but they will also fly during the day. Wingspan averages around three inches (7.5 cm).

.
Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

gwendolen said...

Very pretty moth. Not sure I get the sphinx bit, but still. :)

Shelly Cox said...

So common yet so pretty, I love the beautiful pink underwings when they flash their wings or fly. We've seen several so far this year, but none at the lights yet.

Craig Glenn said...

Beautiful Moth! Nice job workin' at night to get him.

Craig

Marvin said...

According to the University of Kentucky:

Sphinx moths are so-named because of the characteristic sphinx-like pose adopted by some of the larvae when at rest (head and legs held up and tucked under).

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I do love this one Marvin but the Zebra moth is spectacular!! This summer I must begin to set a light out at night to attract them. We also have some beautiful ones here.

Birdy Official said...

What an excellent shot of a lovely moth. Your pictures and information will be of great help for me in resolving my identification problem.

Texas Travelers said...

One of my favorite bugs. I have always liked the pattern and flashes of pink when they fly. Nice photo.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It must be this moth's time of the year to be out and about. I have seen it on other blogs. This is a great shot of it. I will keep looking for one around here.

Kelly said...

...these are so cool. I've not seen one this year. I hope I see one soon. Wonderful photo...

Lana Gramlich said...

That one looks almost man-made somehow, like a stealth aircraft with perfectly geometric designs. Lovely!