Friday, January 14, 2011

The Tree Year 2011: American Persimmon (Diospyros virginiana) #1

January 13, 2011



This American Persimmon (Diospyros virginiana) is one of the two trees I've chosen to celebrate in 2011.  It's a "yard tree", growing just outside of our vegetable garden.  Choosing a yard tree has advantages.  Observing and photographing  will be easy.  Also, this persimmon and I are old friends.  We've known each other for the past twenty-five years.  The disadvantage is that it will be impossible for me to photograph this old friend without including a lot of yard and garden clutter.  So be it.  The tree is more important than the clutter.


Persimmon facts:  Persimmons are members of the ebony family (Ebenaceae).  There are about 200 species of ebonies worldwide.  Most are tropical.  Persimmons are the only member of the ebony family native to North America.



Celebrate a tree in 2011.  It's easy:  Observe, photograph, sketch, discuss and share with other tree huggers.  Please click the logo above for participation details.

.
Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Now this is going to be interesting. I didn't know that persimmon was in the Ebony family.

gwen said...

I googled it. What a lovely tree! I'm glad we get to see your yard too.

I'm looking forward to discover the clutter. So far haven't been able to spot any. :-)

Pat - Arkansas said...

What a neat thing to do, Marvin. I encountered my first persimmon tree when we moved from NM to AR. My mama was so tickled to have persimmon trees on our property, and soon introduced us to the sweet joys of fully ripe persimmon fruit. I very much enjoy the flavor of wild persimmons; the big 'foreign' ones are bland by comparison.

Unknown said...

Hehe, my kind of yard - the yard with clutter ;-)

Looking forward to the changes in this Beauty :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

I look forward to sharing the year with your persimmon tree!

Rambling Woods said...

I will be happy to participate...Our ash trees are all going to be dying from emerald ash borer. We had three of ours treated, but the woods is full of them..another introduced pest......sad...Michelle

Marvin said...

Lisa: Persimmon wood isn't as dense as tropical Ebony, but is still fairly hard, which has led to several specialized uses -- but I cannot tell you about those without giving away the plot to future posts. :-)

Gwen: Maybe we define clutter differently. I see ugly metal fence posts, fencing, tomato cages filled with dead tomato plants, etc. I'm glad you are tolerant of our clutter.

Pat: I have to admit that while I eat a few persimmons, they really aren't one of my favorite fruits. I don't think I've ever eaten one of the commercial varieties.

Nicole: Yep, clutter gives a yard that "lived in" look.

Juliet: As I do learning about your hornbeam and cherry trees.

Michelle: Losing trees is always sad, but when they fall to an invasive species its especially depressing. I'm looking forward to your Tree Year 2011 posts.

Unknown said...

Hubby can't stand it, but he sort of is getting used to it - living in small places AND living with me ;-)

Marvin said...

Fortunately (or, maybe, unfortunately) both my wife and I are "pack rats" and clutter addicts. We both know we have no room to criticize the others "collecting" habits.

Unknown said...

That's good - or maybe not :-D